Monday, September 12, 2011

The Enemies of Compassion

According to Joan Halifax, pity and moral outrage are the enemies of compassion.


This idea is particularly challenging in beginning to create my collage. How do I filter out the pity and stereotypes and retain the true compassion? 

I suppose in struggling with this question it would be beneficial if I had a solid understanding of what pity truly is, but I wonder if I do. So, I did the best thing I could think of; I looked up the definition of "pity."

First, I got the following dictionary in the basic search on my computer:
"the feeling of sorrow and compassion caused by the suffering and misfortunes of others."
Then, my search on dictionary.com drew the following results:
"sympathetic or kindly sorrow evoked by the suffering,distress, or misfortune of another, often leading one to give relief or aid or to show mercy."
"a cause or reason for pity, sorrow, or regret."
From these definitions I'm not entirely sure that I understand why pity is so negative. I know that often those who are the recipients of pity would prefer not to receive it, but isn't this often only to the point that pity does not lead to some sort of initiative? Or, in other words, isn't pity acceptable if the sentiments it stirs are converted into action?

As Halifax quotes, "It takes a strong back and a soft front." Surely pity is merely a mechanism of the "soft front" that activates the "strong back."

(I would love to hear your ideas on this matter; I really would.)

Nevertheless, I will strive to avoid stereotypes in creating my board. I want to utilize the full power of pathos and ethos, but I do not desire to manipulate the suffering of the East African people to that end. There must be a delicate balance between the two; finding that line will be challenging, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment