Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Unity, Unity, Unity!

In class discussions and my own personal reflections on the project, I can't seem to get past my own need for the piece to be unified. Collages and other such graphic designs can so easily become ineffective and virtually illegible. 


Previously I have written about my desire for organization within the actual structure of the entire board. Today's discussion of color in class added a new dimension to my thoughts on how to avoid chaos. I have yet to decide if I am going to utilize the effects of black and white images with color spotting, but I am certainly planning on altering the contrasts of the included images so as to unify the aggregation of images but also to focus each individual image. 


I used to love black and white photos with one color retained. One year in college I even applied this effect to my favorite photos, which all hung on the wall in my room. However, whether through personal preferences or otherwise (I have no idea), I came to this point of finding the starkness of black and white and one single color too absolute, and almost cliche. I still see the beauty in it, but for a crisis as complex as that carrying on in East Africa, there are no absolutes. There are no set expectations, and there is no certainty. 


In addition to these thoughts on black and white, I might ought to admit that I often dislike blending color images with black and white. Perhaps if one single image were in black and white and the rest were in color, or the reverse, I would easily understand that a specific argument is being suggested, but I am slightly adverse to using both approaches to images often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment