Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It's All Greek to Me

I can still fondly recall the high school classroom in which I first learned about the concepts of ethos, pathos, and logos. (They sound like the Three Musketeers to me.) And though I understand the concept, and have finally managed to remember the definitions for each, I find it difficult to evaluate thoughts and accurately categorize them by their correct persuasion. I always manage to start reasoning in circles until I eventually give up the pursuit.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to best include all three persuasions into my board design. To be frank, with the particular purpose of our project, I feel like pathos is a given. Even an attempt at objectivity will bring with it images that ought to unsettle any person's mind. (If you don't believe me, Google "East African Famine" under the "Images" function.)

And at the same time, it seems to me that ethos ought to be inherent as well. Seeing what we see, whether distorted or not, ought to appeal to our innate sense of morality. How can we have what we have and yet cling to it so selfishly and apathetically?

I'm still trying to work out the logos. Logically, we have so much, and giving out of our surplus is so simple that it seems illogical not to follow through on our capabilities.

I'm still mulling over these ideas. I would really love to hear what you have to say about any or all of these three concepts and/or how they function in relation to our project.

No comments:

Post a Comment