Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Surprise, Surprise

Not only am I no longer pursuing the "cool hunting" topic I was originally considering for my final project, I am no longer pursuing the subject outlined in my storyboard either. After a very productive and beneficial conversation with my best friend, I have decided instead to tackle the subject of grading. Though my images will appear in a college context, the argument my photographs will make applies to all levels of evaluation, even perhaps into fields beyond education.

I will be making the argument that broad and generalized systems of evaluation, including but not limited to the lack of a plus/minus grading system, are inadequate. Yes, like everyone else in my graduating class at TCU I have been screwed at least once by the plus/minus grading system, but I also see the value of it and the possible benefits of the system for students. My images will seek to reveal this.

I am excited at the possibilities of my photographs, but after researching Ansel Adams I definitely feel a certain sense of ineptness, both in photographic skill (I have none) and in subject matter. To be honest I just foresee environmental advocacy being a tad bit overdone at the current moment. I hope mine will suffice.

Side note to peers: Don't hate me for arguing in favor of the current grading system. Trust me, I get it. And two weeks ago, I never would have thought that I would make the argument that I am. Just for what it's worth...

No comments:

Post a Comment